Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 May 2011

This Bigoted boycott of Israeli Books by West Dunbartonshire Council is not acceptable

Here are some of the Letters sent to the Daily Express by of some angry Scots 
after the newspaper printed an article re West Dunbartonshire Council banning Israeli Books ( Fury as council launches boycott on Israeli books http://www.express.co.uk/posts

Councillors do not have time to care about books
I would have thought there would be more items on the agenda for West Dunbartonshire Council to discuss for the the well being of their constituents, than for them to ban books from Israel in their library. What planet are the clowns from? we have potholes to be filled in, the lamp posts are rusty and needed painted, the town centre is a pig sty, shops are closing down ten a penny- and our councillor are spending their time banning books.
They should be encouraging enterprise in the town, I am not altogether happy with the situation in the Middle East, but for the the life of me I cannot see what it has to do with our councillors in Dumbarton.
Did they ban the Koran after the 9/11? I suppose one of them will be putting their name forward for the chair of the International Monetary Fund now they solve the Middle East problem
Robert Hunter Dumbarton

I say no to library's ban on the bible
I read that West Dunbartonshire Council has banned books printed from its libraries. I take it then that West Dunbartonshire is the first local authority in Britain to ban the bible? After all, where the scriptures written if not the Holy Land?
I, for one, am deeply concerned and offended at he prospect of not being able to go into my local library and read or borrow a bible.
this is especially concerning when consider this is the fourth anniversary year of the of the publication of the King James Bible, one of the most influential books in the English language.
I think West Dunbartonshire Council should reconsider its position very quickly and put God's Word back on the shelves. As someone who voted SNP in the election I am disgusted that a council run by a party could have got involved in such silly gesture politics.
William Donaldson, Clydebank

Tuesday 24
This Bigoted boycott isn't acceptable
Scotland has been embarrassed of late by bigotry in football. Scotland should not have to suffer further humiliation from idiotic councillors implementing a bigoted boycott from the Holy Land.
MSP Ken MacIntosh has recognised this decision as deplorable. I expect the majority of Scots are outraged that Scotland's reputation of reverence for learning and education has been besmirched.
I fear that if the boycotters get their way then all sorts of products from Israel will be disallowed in West Dunbartonshire. Beware if you suffer from asthma; the most commonly used breath-actuated inhaler is an Israeli product.
I hope that our Government in Holyrood will distance themselves from the SNP in the West Dunbartonshire.
Mr R. Vallance, Glasgow  

1 comment:

  1. I happen to oppose the harmful policies of the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom. I just discovered this issue existed from last month. So I Googled to see what the major library intellectual freedom associations had to say on the issue.

    Nothing.

    So I let the many people at the ALA's annual meeting know:

    Israeli books banned in Scotland to silence from @oif @frtf @amlibraries @ifla @IFLA_FAIFE @IFLA_HQ @IFRT_ALA http://t.co/EdCTHiU #ala11

    If you are on Twitter, you may wish to subscribe to @SafeLibraries.

    ReplyDelete