Search This Blog

Thursday 16 June 2011

Israel Police name first Muslim deputy inspector-general




Deputy Inspector-General Jamal Hakroush on Wednesday became the first Muslim police officer to ascend to his rank in Israel. He was recently nominated to the office of deputy chief of the Traffic Department.



"It's a position I have been waiting for, and it offers many challenges," Hakroush told Ynet in an interview. "I am proud of Israel Police for choosing me based on my qualifications and nothing else."


The officer added, "My religion and origin are facts I do not ignore, but I have never, in all my years of service, felt discriminated against or hurt by it."


Hakroush says his home village of Kfar Kana has offered a lot of support. "People from all over the village called to congratulate me," he said. "I hope I can pave the way for others, too."






Hakroush began serving in the police force in 1978. He has previously served as district commander of two districts as well as the commander of three stations. "I am proud to be the first Muslim to carry the rank of deputy inspector-general in Israel Police," he told his associates Wednesday.




http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4082782,00.html
 



No comments:

Post a Comment